Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)

MTAs describe the terms under which University researchers and outside researchers can share materials, typically for research or evaluation purposes.

In cases when only human-derived data are being shared, a request for a Data Use Agreement (DUA) should be submitted. These agreements, along with equipment leases and loans, are handled by the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects.

MTA – Outgoing

Governs the transfer of material from U-M to another organization.

If you are a U-M researcher interested in sending materials to an outside country, please contact . . . MORE

MTA – Incoming

Governs the transfer of material from outside entities to U-M.

If you are an outside entity interested in sending material to a researcher at U-M, please contact and provide information about the materials and the recipient.

If you are a U-M researcher and you receive an MTA from a provider entity, please complete the Unfunded Agreement (UFA) request for incoming MTA in eResearch, under Proposal Management, to allow review of the terms and routing for proper signatures. All MTAs from the University must be reviewed and signed by U-M Innovation Partnerships . . . MORE

For More Information

For answers to specific questions regarding submitting an MTA see the FAQ . . . MORE

MTAs are administered by U-M Innovation Partnerships. Intellectual property rights can be endangered if materials are used without a proper MTA. For help with any MTA matter, contact John Corthell.