Should I submit an MTA request if I’m paying a third party to analyze some samples as a service and not for the third party’s research purposes?

No, these types of fee-for-service arrangements are handled by Procurement and you should contact them.

Should I submit an MTA request if I am only receiving or sending data without any physical materials?

No, in this case you will need to submit a request for a Data Use Agreement (DUA) through eResearch, which will be processed by ORSP.

Do I need to submit a request for an MTA if I am receiving an equipment loan?

No, you should contact ORSP with this request.

Can I charge a fee for providing samples to a non-profit entity?

As part of a non-profit institution supported by federal funding, U-M researchers may not charge for their materials to other non-profit institutions per NIH sharing policy. However, you can be reimbursed for all expenses directly incurred by the laboratory as a result of fulfilling the transfer. These include preparation of chemicals or reagents, portion of the cost of maintenance of an animal colony, technician time required to prepare materials and paperwork, along with all shipping costs associated with the transfer. If you have a question about whether an expense is reimbursable, please contact

Can I charge a fee for providing samples to a for-profit entity?

When transferring materials to a company, U-M Innovation Partnerships can negotiate a fee-MTA where recipient pays a one-time fee upon entering into an agreement. In addition, depending on the intended use of the materials by the company, U-M Innovation Partnerships can enter into a license agreement. To learn more about different options available to you, please contact a licensing specialist.

Are there any additional requirements for Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Investigators?

Yes, in addition to U-M policies, investigators that are employed by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute are also subject to HHMI policies for sending materials that meet the above criteria. Please reference the following: HHMI Policies Regarding MTA.

Can I submit an outgoing MTA request for human-derived materials if the IRB study that covers them has a pending amendment that directly impacts their collection and/or transfer?

Yes, you can still submit an MTA request for transfer of these materials. However, the MTA will not be finalized until this amendment is approved by the IRB.

I would like to have an open-ended collaboration with a scientist at a non-profit entity where I will send materials now, and later her/she will send me results/data/materials that will be determined over the course of the research. Can I submit an MTA request for such an open-ended collaboration?

No, this is not generally done by U-M Innovation Partnerships. A two-way agreement can be formulated, but both parties have to be clear upfront on the materials to be transferred. U-M Innovation Partnerships does not discourage such open-ended collaborations, but in these cases it will be easy to submit a request for an incoming MTA when your collaborator is ready to send you materials.