Educational Series: Startup 101 Webinars
Startup Licensing 101: A Resource for Entrepreneurs Working with Companies Originated at Academic Institutions
For many entrepreneurs, licensing from a university may be a new experience. This series of webinars provides information that will be helpful for academic entrepreneurs contemplating their first (or perhaps subsequent) license from an academic institution. Presented by an attorney who represents many academic startups, including their investors, along with two academic technology transfer veterans, these webinars bring views from both sides of the table and best practices for a fruitful and efficient negotiation.
STARTUP WEBINAR SERIES
I. Startup Licensing 101: The 30,000 Foot View – January – Recorded Webinar
- What is technology transfer?
- Why do universities and companies enter into these agreements?
- Who are the key stakeholders on each side
- What do the stakeholders expect of the negotiation and license?
II. Startup Licensing 101: License Process and Pre-License Agreements – March 23, 12:00 PM ET – Recorded Webinar
- The University technology circle of life
- Startup’s due diligence and evaluation
- University’s diligence
- Pre-license and other agreements, including CDAs, Letter Agreements, Option Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Inter-institutional Agreements, Sponsored Research Agreements
III. Startup Licensing 101: The Term Sheet – May – Details to Come
- Financials of a License
IV. Startup Licensing 101: The License, Part 1 – July – Details to Come
- License Primer
- Reservation of Rights
- Change of Control
V. Startup Licensing 101: The License, Part 2 – September – Details to Come
- The “Lawyer” Parts
- All Things Patents
- Name Use
About Osage University Partners (OUP)
OUP has been investing exclusively in startups that are commercializing university research since 2009. OUP has partnered with over 90 academic institutions to invest in pioneering technologies and visionary entrepreneurs targeting large market opportunities.