Celebrate Invention 2018
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 1 – 6 PM
U-M Innovation Partnerships will host its annual Celebrate Invention event at the Michigan League Ballroom, brief remarks at 3:45 pm with special guests:
- Kelly Sexton, AVP for Research and Innovative Partnerships
- Jack Hu, Vice President for Research
- Andrei Iancu, USPTO Director
- Mingyan Liu, University Distinguished Innovator of the Year
PANEL DISCUSSIONS, 1 – 3 PM
Two panel discussions will provide attendees the opportunity to engage in discussions on successful commercialization paths and incentivizing innovation:
1:00 pm Panel: Data Science Commercialization – Opportunities, Traps and Pathways to Success
- Moderator: Drew Bennett, Associate Director, Software, Mobile and Digital Technologies, Office of Technology Transfer
- Panelists: Mingyan Liu, Quadmetrics | Mariel Lavieri, Glaucoma Forecasting Tool | Mike Burns, Anesthesia Billing Code Optimization | Bill Stacey, Epilepsy Detection
2:00 pm Panel: The Importance of American Innovation
- Moderator: Bryce Pilz, Director of Licensing, Office of Technology Transfer
- Panelists: Andrei Iancu, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office | Mark Ringes, Vice President, Assistant General Counsel at IBM | Rebecca Eisenberg, Robert and Barbara Luciano Professor of Law, University of Michigan Law School
TRANSLATIONAL FUNDING FAIR, 1 – 3 PM
Representatives from 25 translational funds will provide inventors the opportunity to learn about resources and programs available to advance innovation into the marketplace.
CELEBRATE INVENTION RECEPTION, 3 – 6 PM
Gather together with members of our business, venture, university and local communities together to celebrate the accomplishments of U-M innovators.
The reception will highlight technologies to illustrate the breadth of our U-M discoveries and encourage direct discussions with our inventors and entrepreneurs including:
Join us for appetizers, refreshments, networking, and lively conversation on the subject of innovation at the University of Michigan.